Before I started my blog last summer, I asked a few friends and family members, if they would share a recipe with me so I could write a cookbook for my boys. Being an older parent, I wanted to leave something for my precious boys.
My Beautiful parents have both passed away and all I have are memories. I wanted to share recipes, and memories, with my boys, of some of our friends and a few family members. This is how my blog began….wanting to put a cookbook together. Then wanting more than just recipes. I wanted pictures and memories and crafts and memories and day trips and memories…..You get the idea.
This recipe is adapted from our sweet friend, Robin, her original recipe follows. She is requested to make her Sour Cream Coffee Cake for her brother often.
Whole Wheat Blueberry Mango Coffee Cake
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 to 1 cup sugar, 1 cup was a little too sweet for us, adjust to your taste
- 1/2 teaspoon clear vanilla extract, optional
- 3/4 cup mango nectar, I use Goya
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries, or frozen, rinsed and drained well
- Extra blueberries for garnish
- 2 to 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- remaining mango nectar, around 1/2 cup
Directions for Blueberry Mango Coffee Cake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Grease 9″cake pan or bundt pan. I used 9″ cast iron skillet
- Whisk together first 5 ingredients and set aside.
- Cream eggs and sugar until fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract, if using, and mango nectar.
- Alternated dry ingredients and sour cream, ending with sour cream.
- Gently fold in blueberries.
Gently fold blueberries into batter. I folded them in too gently and they were not distributed evenly throughout the coffee cake.
Put batter in greased pan. Cook in preheated oven, 45-60 minutes depending on pan used.
After 25 minutes, turn pan around and cook another 15.
Check and cook additional time until lightly brown and toothpick comes out clean. Mine cooked 48 minutes in cast iron skillet.
Cool in pan for 10 minutes and turn out until wire.
Turn out of pan and then flip over so it sits upright.
Directions for Mango Glaze
Whisk together nectar and 2 cups confectioner’s sugar until sugar is dissolved. Add more sugar if needed.
Robin’s Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Topping- 1 Cup of chopped walnuts
- 1/2 Cup of sugar
- 1 TBS Cinnamon mix all 3 together in a separate bowl and put aside til batter is made
- 1/2 cup of butter or margarine
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 2 cups of flour-sifted —–)
- 1 tsp of baking soda ) SIFT TOGETHER
- 1 tsp of baking powder )
- 1/4 tsp of salt—————)
- Mix above ingredients together,pour half of mixture into a greased floured tube or bundt
- pan.Add half of topping mixture ,sprinkle over the batter then add the rest of the batter and
- smooth it all around and add the rest of the topping mixture on top of the batter,Bake at
- 350 degrees for 45 minutes, cool then place dinner plate over top of cake to flip out of pan
- and then put plate on bottom and turn right side up. Over the years I have learned that if I
- spray the pan with Pam spray and really spray it well I do not need to use flour in the pan
- to coat it.