You read it right. I made pancakes with cola! My oldest son loved them and wants me to make more tomorrow. The original recipe, which I found rummaging around yesterday, calls for club soda. I didn’t have club soda on hand but did have cola. My son couldn’t taste the cola but I detected a trace of it. I think other flavors may have a more distinct flavor. I want to use orange soda with pineapple preserves, root beer with whipped cream, grape with, uh, well, I’ll have to think about that one! Try it and let me know what flavors you pair.
Soda Pop Pancakes
- 2 cups biscuit mix
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup soda, you may not need the full amount
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon vanilla, optional
- Stir eggs and vanilla, if using, into biscuit mix.
- Add 3/4 cup soda, stirring to incorporate, adding additional soda if needed. You do not want the pancake batter to be too thin.
- Spray griddle, or pan, and heat to medium – medium high.
- Ladle pancake batter into hot pan.
- Cook until bubbles form around the edge and flip over.
- Lowering heat if needed.
- Cook an additional 1-3 minutes, until the bottom is brown and pancake is done.
- Top with your favorite toppings.