My oldest twin loves oranges and anything made with them. I wanted to make him something special since I have been with his twin, at the hospital, for three days. We missed each other dearly. This morning, we sat down and ate our Orange Bran Muffins, just the two of us.
Orange Bran Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups bran flakes cereal
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- zest from 1 medium Sunkist Orange, about 2 teaspoons
Simple Orange Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- zest from one medium Sunkist orange
- 2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed Sunkist orange juice or milk
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease, Homemade Cake Release, or use paper liners in standard muffin pan. Add bran flakes to buttermilk and let sit while making batter. Cream shortening and brown sugar together until fluffy. Beat in egg. Sift in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and desired amount of cinnamon.
Add zest of orange and mix until incorporated. Fold in buttermilk/cereal mixture just until mixed together. Fill muffin tins 3/4 way full. Bake in preheated oven 17 to 20 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean. Take out of oven and place on cooling rack.
Mix ingredients together. Dip tops of muffins in glaze or drizzle over tops. Enjoy!