Looking for a different cake? You have found it here! I am truly amazed how this Multi Grain and Quinoa Whole Wheat Cake turned out. We love it! I used Minute Multi Grain and Quinoa Medley to make the cake. It is amazing!
The blend of rice and quinoa can be found on the rice isle. If you cannot find the blend, no worries, you can use wild rice in its place. I found the original recipe in Better Homes and Gardens Cooking with Whole Grains.
The recipe called for wild rice, which I didn’t want to buy due to cost. I looked around and found Minute Multi Grain and quinoa Medley. Perfect! A blend of brown, red and wild rice with quinoa. The combination is wonderful cooked in chicken broth and this wonderful cake.
Multi Crain and Quinoa Whole Wheat Cake
- 1 bag Minute Multi Grains and quinoa
- OR 2/3 cup wild rice
- water, to cook multi grains or wild rice, according to directions
- 1 cup butter or margarine, room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed, homemade
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea (or table) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 – 1/2 to 3 teaspoons heavy cream, milk or juice
- or can of frosting, your choice, heated 20 to 30 seconds enough to drizzle
Cook Minute Multi Grains and quinoa or wild rice according to directions. Drain if necessary. Place in refrigerator or freezer to chill.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour bundt pan.
Mix dry ingredients together and set aside. Cream margarine, brown sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.
Add eggs, one at a time. Alternate dry ingredients and buttermilk. Fold in chilled multi grains or wild rice.
Pour into prepared bundt pan and bake 45 to 50 minutes until toothpick inserts comes out clean.
Cool on rack, in pan, 15 minutes. Run a knife around edges. Place serving pate over top of pan and flip over.
To make drizzle: Mix sifted powdered sugar, vanilla extract and enough liquid to made a drizzle