You don’t have to buy those cans of “cream of” based soups again. Use this as a start for everything from soups to casseroles. Add your own meat, vegetables, herbs and seasonings to this base to make your best recipes homemade!
Homemade Cream of Soup Base
- 6 Tablespoons butter or margarine,
- 6 Tablespoons whole wheat, or all purpose, flour
- 1/2 cup chicken, beef, or vegetable broth, or milk
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper or to taste
To make soup…
- 2 cups, more or less, broth or milk
- meat and/or vegetables
In a skillet or soup pot, melt butter or margarine on medium. While butter is melting, whisk flour and chicken broth together. Add to skillet, season with salt and pepper, if desired, stir 2 to 3 minutes until thickened and there is no longer a flour taste.
There is your base. Add 2 cups milk or broth or both with your meat, vegetables, seasonings and herbs. Now you have made your own Cream of Soup and saved money while doing so.