Here is something a little different for you. Greens and Cornbread Bites. Yep…a true southern snack if there ever was one. use your favorite Greens, fresh, frozen or canned. This is a very forgiving recipe. Adjust all ingredients to your liking. Hope you enjoy these..
Greens and Cornbread Bites
- 1 14 oz can Greens (doesn’t need to be cooked) drained and squeezed thoroughly to remove liquid. You can use 1 1/2 to 2 cups of your leftover cooked greens.
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup Roasted Red Peppers, diced
- 1/4 cup Onion, minced
- 2 slices Bacon,cooked and crumbled,
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup Pepper Jack Cheese, grated
- Salt, Pepper, Hot Pepper Sauce, optional Use whatever you use to season greens if they aren’t already. Season to taste.
- 1 to 2 cups Cornbread Stuffing Mix, may substitute cooked and crumbled cornbread
- 3 Eggs, beaten
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease cookie sheet
These are canned mustard greens, already diced. I pressed the lid on them until the liquid no longer came out.
Mix greens, diced red pepper (amount you like), onions, bacon, pepper jack cheese (amount you like). Taste and then season with salt, pepper and/or hot pepper sauce, optional, to taste.
Add 1 cup cornbread stuffing mix, or crumbled cornbread, and beaten eggs. Add more cornbread stuffing mix or cornbread, as needed to make a mixture that is still a little moist.
Roll into walnut size balls, they will be moist, and place on a greased cookie sheet. Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 8 minutes. Turn pan around and cook another 5 -10 minutes. They should be firm, with a tiny give when done. As always, my oven cooks different than yours…adjust time accordingly.
One of my twins borrowed my camera and took pictures of his lego man cooking a fish while another may patiently waits at the picnic table.
Aren’t they pretty?