I have been craving fried pickles, doesn’t that sound like a country band? Introducing Fried Pickles as they sing their new song, Fried Chicken and Butter Beans where did I go wrong?! Sorry, couldn’t help that. although I have never eaten them before. When they kept popping up on my computer screen, I took that as a sign I needed to make them. My first attempt was a huge failure.
They reminded me of The Andy Griffith Show when Aunt B makes Kerosene Cucumbers! (remember that one?) Yep, they were that bad. Hubby told me he hoped I hadn’t made a lot of them as he didn’t want to waste food! LOL SALTY, does not even begin to describe those little circles of puckering pickles! I used the seasoned flour I was going to fry pork chops in. BAD idea! I tried again, this time rinsing the slices…duh? and soaking them in buttermilk. Much better! I tried to get hubby to try the second batch but he evidently didn’t hear me tell him I changed the recipe. I got to eat them all! I only made a handful, cause you know, I was a little shy to try them again myself.
- (I didn’t measure ’cause I wasn’t certain I would eat them)
- plain flour…about 1 cup
- sugar…about 2 teaspoons
- ground black pepper or cayenne …1/4 teaspoon maybe
- buttermilk to cover pickles
- sliced pickles, or whole and then slice them
- Grab a handful of pickles. Rinse, rinse and rinse them some more. Put in bowl.
- Cover with buttermilk
- Add enough oil in skillet to come half way up your pickles. I cooked them this way because I was frying pork chops.
- Heat oil. It is ready when a drop of water pops or a pinch of flour sizzles.
- Mix flour, sugar and pepper while oil is heating. I just put it in a bag and shake it.
- Once oil is ready, take pickles out of buttermilk, shaking off excess.
- Put in bag and shake around to coat with flour.
- Carefully put in hot oil. Cook until bottom is brown and turn over.
- Done when bottom is brown.
- Take out with a slotted spoon and put on a plate that was been covered with paper towels.
- Serve with ranch dressing for dipping.
I made a sandwich with the 3 cheese bread I made, pork and fried pickle.
Good thing I don’t eat like that everyday!