I’m still trying to revamp recipes to make them a little healthier than my norm. Healthier this time was adding flax seed and cutting down on the sugar. One of my twins was more than happy to help this morning when I told him we were making this for breakfast. He sliced the strawberries, added the vanilla and little bit of sugar.
Dark Chocolate Chip Strawberry Shortcakes
- 2 cups biscuit mix, Homemade
- 1/3 cup milled flax seed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 3 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, optional
- 1 tablespoon sugar, optional
- 1 lb strawberries, rinsed, dried and sliced or fruit of your choice, sweetened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar, depending on how sweet your strawberries are
fat free frozen whipped topping or whipped cream, whipped and sweetened
While oven is preheating to 400 degrees F, slice strawberries.
Stir together biscuit mix, flax seed and sugar.
Mix in milk, margarine and vanilla.
Fold in dark chocolate chips.
Spoon 6 equal amounts onto ungreased cookie sheet.
Mix 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 tablespoon sugar and sprinkle on dough, if desired.
Cook 10-12 minutes or until tops are golden brown.