Yep, it’s my birthday. My 50th Birthday. One half of a century old. I have boys. A 9 1/2 year old and 5 1/2 year old twins. Hubby of 24 years. Beautiful friends. Some loving family. Dogs, cats, mini horses, big ole pigs and an old goat. I’m a Blessed and Happy Old Girl!
Here is my birthday cake. I didn’t want an overly sweet cake. This is dense, moist, rich and chocolaty. You may want to use regular cocoa and semi sweet chips if you want a sweeter cake. Love and hugs!
Chocolate Oatmeal Cake
- 1 cup quick oats, my homemade instant oatmeal works great
- 1 1/4 cup water, boiling, I think I will use milk or buttermilk next cake
- 1/2 cup Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa, or any cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups King Arthur unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 Tablespoons molasses, unsulphured
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Hershey’s Special Dark Chocolate Chips or semi-sweet, optional
- Put oatmeal in a bowl, sift cocoa in, add boiling water, stir and set aside for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease bundt pan. My bundt pan was too large I think I have a 12 cup.
- In large mixing bowl whisk, or sift, together flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Beat together sugar, molasses and oil. Beat in eggs until mixed. Add flour mixture and beat just until incorporated. Add oatmeal mixture and vanilla, stirring to mix well but not over mix.
- Pour batter in bundt pan and cook for 20 – 30 minutes. It’s done when toothpick comes out clean. Always check before earliest time.
- Let cool for 20 minutes. Run a plastic knife around edges, I use one of my twins old zoo pal knives, ~smile~ Remove from pan onto serving plate or cooling rack.
- Top with ganache or dust with powdered sugar.
Dark Chocolate Ganache
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Hershey’s Dark Special Chocolate Chips or semi sweet chips
- Heat cream just until boil. While heating but chocolate chips in a bowl.
- Once cream has come to a boil, pour over chocolate chips.
- Whisk until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Spoon over cake.
- Slice and enjoy warm or place in refrigerator to set chocolate.