I found this, and other, unnamed recipes not long ago. Don’t you love finding treasures like that? It was a great gift finding them but I really wish the names had been on them. NOTE TO SELF: Write names when jotting down a recipe!!!
Today seemed like a good day to try these. I was taking the twins to the movies with their little girlfriends. They love going and look forward to seeing them each week. I always bring a special treat for them to munch on in-between the tiny fistfuls of popcorn.
These turned out soft with chocolate, caramel, oats in a bar that have the buttery taste of toffee. It’s a cookie bar that tastes like candy! Small pieces are enough to satisfy me. A nibble here and there do the trick. My boys would eat big pieces, and all at once, if I let them. ;D Make and share with those that make you smile…they taste better that way.
Chocolate Oat Toffee Bars
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus a pinch
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 bag caramel bits
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup cream or milk
- pinch of salt or 1/8 teaspoon
- 1 bag chocolate chips, 2 cups more or less
- 1/2 cup coconut, optional
- 1 cup almond slivers, optional
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Line 9×13 pan with parchment paper
- Mix dry ingredients with melted butter until crumbly.
- Reserve 1 1/4 cup and add coconut, if desired.
- Pat remaining mixture in pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- While it is baking, melt caramel with 1/4 cream or milk, according to directions on bag.
- Add more cream or milk if necessary to make a smooth consistency. Stir in pinch of salt.
- Take out of oven after 10 minutes and sprinkle chocolate chips over top.
- Spread chocolate once melted.
- Spoon melted caramel over chocolate.
- Sprinkle slivered almonds on top, if using.
- Top with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake an additional 15-18 minutes until done.
- My bars were soft. I try cooking additional time, 2-5 minutes checking every minute, to get a firmer texture.