I LOVE Carrot Cake!! I think it is one of my all time favorite cakes. While I was growing up my Beloved Aunt Ree Ree would always bake our favorite cake on our birthday. That and a dollar or two in a card were treasured. We were able to eat the first slice and shared the rest with pleasure. Lately, I have been wanting one and just haven’t been able to make one. Each time I go to the fridge, I find the mini horses have eaten all the carrots. I blame my hubby for that but no worries..the minis love carrots, too.
I watched The Pioneer Woman this morning and was inspired to make Sloppy Joe Hoagies and a Carrot Cake. I wanted to make the Chocolate Dipped Granola Bars but didn’t have time. Perhaps in a day or two when the cake is gone. The cake is an easy recipe to make. It’s one I have made for many, many, many, many years, yes, that long. I usually make a little icing. My boys and I eat it as is. Hubby likes the icing so we let him eat it all if he wants.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups carrots, grated. I used 7 carrots. Depending on size.
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, I used walnuts…it’s what I had
Icing for Whole Cake
- 8 oz neufchatel cheese, room temperature
- 1 stick margarine or butter, room temperature
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- nuts, chopped
For those that don’t want a lot of icing
- 3 oz neufchatel cheese, or fat free cream cheese
- 3 Tablespoon margarine or butter, room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- nuts, chopped
Directions For Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray and flour bundt pan.
- Get eggs, neufchatel cheese and butter or margarine, out of fridge.
- Grate carrots and put aside.
- In a bowl sift flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together.
- In another bowl beat sugar and eggs together until lemony color.
- Add oil and beat until incorporated.
- Beat in flour mixture.
- Fold in carrots and nuts.
- Pour into greased and floured bundt pan.
- Cook in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes turning pan around after 30 minutes.
- Check at earliest time. It is done when toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let sit for 5 minutes and turn out on cooling rack.
Directions For Icing
- Cream neufchatel cheese and margarine until smooth.
- Beat in sugar and vanilla until incorporated.
- Ice cake, if desired, when cool. Sprinkle with nuts.