Aw, Fall. I love the crisp air. Freshly picked apples and pumpkins, gathered nuts for cooking and snacking on. Love it! I find myself baking a lot more than usual. Can you imagine that? I couldn’t possible bake more than last month but yeah, I have! I love it!
My boys have eaten more muffins in the last 3 weeks than they have ever eaten before! The Pumpkin Muffins are being made at least twice a week at our house. I think we are getting a little burnt out on them. There are just so many days/weeks I can eat Pumpkin Muffins.
I decided to make a new muffin recipe and this one is a hit! Please note, my muffins rose in the oven then went down again. I don’t know if this is because I let them sit too long or if bran muffins don’t rise well. If you know, please leave me a comment. Let me know how yours turn out. Heck, I’d love for you to leave me a comment anyway. Now…what shall I make next?
Caramel Apple Bran Muffins
- 1 cup bran cereal
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup King Arthur unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cups brown sugar, packed
- 2 Tablespoons molasses, unsulphured
- 3 Tablespoons oil
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup shredded or diced apples, 1 medium or 2 depending on size.
- 1/2 to 1 cup caramel bits
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Put paper liners in muffin pans
- Pour buttermilk over bran cereal and let sit
- Whisk egg, brown sugar, molasses and oil.
- Sift flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together.
- Add to egg mixture, stir in.
- Stir in cereal.
- Fold in apples and caramel bits.
- Fill paper liners 3/4 way full.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes.
- Turn pan(s) around and cook another 3-5 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let sit in pan 1 minute, then take out to cool on rack.