If you have never tried Cara Cara Orange Coffee Cake, or any orange coffee cake for that matter, you need to! It really is amazing! Hubby thinks so, too. I cut a piece to take a picture later, put it aside and went about cleaning the mess I made in the kitchen. I am a messy one!
When the kitchen was clean, I went to take the picture of my perfect little piece of Cara Cara Orange Coffee Cake and it was gone! Geez, I thought after hubby ate three pieces, this piece would be safe. No! He ate it! Hence, the photo below is not the perfect piece I wanted to take a picture of. I had to take a picture in a hurry and hope for the best. This is it in all its glory. From now on, if I want to take a picture of something I’ll snap away or I’ll hide it! Enjoy!
Cara Cara Orange Coffee Cake
Cara Cara Orange Topping
- 3 Cara Cara Oranges, or your favorite oranges, peeled, segmented and cut in pieces
- (save the zest of at least 1 orange)
- juice from oranges
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons corn starch
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons sugar, if needed
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 7 Tablespoons margarine, sliced or diced
- zest of 1 orange
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoons margarine, sliced or diced
For Cara Cara Orange Topping:
- Put pieces of oranges in a small sauce pan.
- In a small cup or bowl, mix corn starch and water..start with 2 Tablespoons corn starch
- adding another Tablespoon if needed.
- Pour into orange pieces.
- Add sugar, more or less, depending how sweet oranges are.
- Cook until thick.
- Put aside.
For Coffee Cake:
- Preheat oven to 375. Grease 9×13 pan. I used Homemade Cake Release.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cut in margarine, using a pastry blender or fork, until mixture resembles coarse sand.
- Put egg in measuring cup and add milk to make 1 cup.
- Beat egg in milk. Pour into flour mixture. Mix well.
- Spread in greased pan.
- Spread Cara Cara Orange Topping over batter.
For Crumb Topping:
- Whisk sugar, flour and zest of orange(s)
- Cut in margarine until flour mixture is pea size.
- Sprinkle over Cara Cara Orange Topping.
- Cook 15 minutes in preheated oven.
- Turn pan around to ensure even heating.
- Cook another 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.