I do cook real food…see! It’s just that we are in a rut and eat the same things over and over again, it seems. Until I saw what my lovely friend Ann, of The Fountain Avenue Kitchen shared with us last week. Her Broccoli and Prosciutto Bake looked too good not to make! It is an easy dish that I just knew would be a hit, and it was! I adapted it to use what I had on hand, you do that too, don’t you? Yeah, I thought so.
Anywho, this is really easy, versatile and YUMMY! It is made with frozen broccoli, my oldest son’s favorite veggie, crescent rolls *another favorite*, and whatever you want to add. I am going to add fresh mushrooms and whatever leftover meat I have next time. It’s wonderful to eat with a fork or cut into small pieces for an appetizer, my son was eating it pizza style. However, you make and eat it, I know it will be a favorite in your family, also.
- 1 tube original crescent rolls
- 5 to 6 cups frozen broccoli florets, measured frozen, thawed and squeezed dry with towel
- you can substitute other veggies and/or meat for part of the broccoli
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk,
- 1.4 to 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper. or to taste
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, or to taste
- drizzle of lemon juice, optional
Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Beat eggs and milk together, set aside. Unroll crescent rolls and place in the bottom of an ungreased 8×11 or 9×13 pan. Put half the shredded cheese over the bottom. Layer optional meat and/or veggies, then broccoli. Pour milk and egg mixture over top. Drizzle with lemon juice, if using and sprinkle with seasonings, Top with rest of cheese. Bake in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes until set and golden brown. Enjoy
I cooked this in a Le Creuset baking pan I bought over 20+ years ago. I love it!