Hey Y’all! If you have extra apples and pecans (pronounced Pah-cahns) sitting around – without any particular use in mind…this is definitely the recipe you are looking for! You may need to visit the local grocery store for cinnamon rolls or, if you are feeling it, make your own. I make them from scratch, biscuit mix, and frozen dough.
Hubby buys them in handy tubes to pop open and bake, which is what I used for this Apple Pecan Cinnamon Roll Cobbler
Just a couple of thoughts before you begin.
1. Using 1 Tabelspoon flour made filling thick, I could hold it in my hand. Use 1/2 Tablespoon for a slightly thinner filling or non at all if you like a juicer filling.
2. I used 1 teaspoon maple extract, totally optional and gives a definite maple taste to the wonderful hint of cinnamon apples and pecans. Vanilla extract would also be great.
3. This is a double cinnamon roll crust cobbler. I am certain you could leave off either the bottom or top yummy cinnamon roll crust, if so desired. Let me know if you do.
Apple Pecan Cinnamon Roll Cobbler
- 2 tubes cinnamon rolls, 8 count
- 4 cups apples, chopped
- 1 to 1 – 1/2 cups pecans, chopped
- 1 – 1/2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon maple or vanilla extract,optional
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon flour plus more for rolling
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In microwave safe bowl, stir together lemon juice and water. Peel, core and chop apples. put in lemon water. Drain when finished. Keep apples in the same bowl.
Add walnuts, brown sugar, cinnamon and maple extract, stir to coat. Cook apple and pecan mixture in microwave 5 minutes. Stir in 1/2 to 1 Tablespoon flour (see thoughts above) enough to thicken, and set aside to cool to room temperature. Remove cinnamon rolls from 1 tube (return icing to refrigerator) and place on a lightly floured surface. Sprinkle 2 to 3 teaspoons flour on top of cinnamon rolls and on rolling pin. Roll in a rectangle. Spray 8×8 pan. Lay flattened cinnamon rolls in bottom and up sides of pan. Cutting if needed and piece together. Press bottom and up sides. Pour and smooth apple pecan filling.
Roll 5 cinnamon rolls (cook others for yourself) from the second tube of cinnamon rolls. Weave strips (over and under) to make a lattice top for the apple pecan filling. Bake in preheated 350 degree F oven 20 to 30 minutes (I lost count of time, giving my boy a breathing treatment, please check at earliest time) until filling is set, top and sides (sides can be checked if using glass pan) are golden brown.
Let cool a bit and top with reserved icing from cinnamon roll tubes. Cinnamon sugar and/or vanilla bean ice cream would also be amazing with a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar.