A spin on my Mama’s, and probably yours too, green bean casserole. The one with mushroom soup, french style green beans and fried onions. I loved my Mama’s green bean casserole and looked forward to eating it. However, my boys like alfredo better, so….I made it with alfredo sauce and it was HIT! Try it for something different. I bet your family will like it too.
Alfredo Green Bean Casserole
- 2 cans french style green beans
- 1 can water chestnuts, drained
- 1 jar alfredo sauce, or 1 1/2 to 2 cups of your own
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated…plus more for top
- large can of fried onions
- 4 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced…or canned
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 8×10 or 9×13 pan.
Drain green beans and water chestnuts and put in a bowl. I mixed mine in the pan.
I wouldn’t do that if I was going to put it out to serve. Mix alfredo sauce, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, mushrooms and fried onions. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until just starting to bubble. Take out of oven and top with additional parmesan cheese and fried onions if desired. I left it like it was and let each of the boys top their own at the table.